Note: If you’ve ever installed an Extrol expansion tank, you will notice that the instructions for installing a Fill-Trol expansion tank are remarkably similar. This is because the only difference between a Fill-Trol expansion tank and an Extrol expansion tank is that a Fill-Trol tank includes a specially designed pressure reducing fill valve.
Prior to installing the expansion tank:
- Always look over the expansion tank for damage. Damaged expansion tanks should not be installed and a replacement expansion tank should be ordered.
- The pre-charge pressure of the Fill-Trol expansion tank must be made to match the pressure of the system. The default pre-charge pressure for a Fill-Trol expansion tank is 12 PSI.
- Discard the plastic cap on the air fitting and tighten a new plastic cap onto it.
Installing the Fill-Trol 109 expansion tank:
- Isolate the area where the Fill-Trol 109 expansion tank will be installed. All of the water must also be removed from the boiler system.
- The Fill-Trol 109 expansion tank must be installed on the suction-side of the heating conductors and on the supply-side of the boiler.
- After the Fill-Trol 109 expansion tank is installed, the entire system must be re-pressurized. It is also important to check for cracks and drips and make repairs where necessary.
- Monitor the relief valve discharge as the boiler system is restarted. If water drips from the valve, the expansion tank may have been charged incorrectly or is smaller than what is required for the system. If latter is believed to be the problem, it’s best to purchase a larger Fill-Trol expansion tank, such as the 110 model.
- The Fill-Trol 109 expansion tank should now be working properly and absorbing any hot expanded water. Fill-Trol maintenance: Once installed, the entire heating system should be checked by a professional plumber once a year. As the system becomes older, the plumber should perform the checks more frequently.
Once installed, the entire heating system should be checked by a professional plumber once a year. As the system becomes older, the plumber should perform the checks more frequently.
Extrol Expansion Tanks
Radiant Extrol Expansion Tanks
Fill-Trol Expansion Tank Packages